Switzerland

Award-winning Switzerland u-turns on alcohol interlocks

Award-winning Switzerland u-turns on alcohol interlocks

Switzerland has announced plans to cancel implementation of an alcohol interlock programme for convicted drink drivers one week after receiving ETSC’s PIN Award for long-term efforts to reduce road safety. In a report published on 28 June, the Swiss government published a report showing its Via Secura programme had been successful in cutting collisions. At the same the government announced that it was cancelling plans to introduce an alcohol interlock programme for drink driving offenders in 2019 citing cost concerns. The announcement came just […]

Up to 40% of road deaths in Europe are work-related

Up to 40% of road deaths in Europe are work-related

As EU road death figures stagnate, employers are essential to tackling road risk according to new report. Switzerland recognised with European award for long term progress on improving road safety. As new figures show road deaths in the European Union have not decreased in three years, a report from the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) says employers, national governments and the European Union must step-up efforts to tackle the problem of work-related road risk. 25,671 lives were lost on the road in the European […]

11th Annual Road Safety Performance Index (PIN) Report

11th Annual Road Safety Performance Index (PIN) Report

In 2010, the European Union renewed its commitment to improve road safety by setting a target of reducing road deaths by 50% by 2020, compared to 2010 levels. This target followed an earlier target set in 2001 to halve road deaths by 2010. Since 2014, progress has virtually ground to a halt. 2016 was the third consecutive poor year for road safety: 25,670 people lost their lives on EU roads compared to 26,200 the previous year – a 2% decrease. But this followed a […]

Swiss seat belt wearing rates not improving

Swiss seat belt wearing rates not improving

The latest survey by ETSC’s Swiss member bfu has found that seat belt wearing rates in Switzerland decreased slightly last year and that only three-quarters of rear seat passengers are belting up. 93% of drivers comply with the requirement to wear a seat belt, compared to 94% last year according to the survey. But only 76% of rear seat passengers belt up, compared to 77% last year – a figure the organisation finds to be ‘inadequate, and rather surprising because the protective effect of […]

30 km/h limits gaining rapid acceptance across Europe

30 km/h limits gaining rapid acceptance across Europe

Milan is the latest European city to announce plans to introduce 30 km/h zones. The new limits will start to be introduced by March according to an announcement last month. The city’s move reflects growing acceptance of the lower urban speed limits in cities and countries across Europe. The changes follow a decision by the city council of Edinburgh, the Scottish capital, to extend 20 mph (32 km/h) zones to cover some 80% of the city’s streets, including the entire city centre.  Paris also […]

Call for more out-of-town speed checks in Switzerland

Call for more out-of-town speed checks in Switzerland

ETSC’s Swiss member BFU has called for an increase in the number of speed controls outside of urban areas, pointing to 2013 statistics that showed 52% of speeding-related serious injuries and deaths occurred on inter-urban roads where only 4% of speed checks were currently being carried out. 98% of speed controls in Switzerland are carried out by fixed safety cameras, the remaining 2% by non-automatic cameras placed in special locations or in vehicles. BFU says the impact on driver behaviour is biggest when automatic […]

#Spain: 7 in 10 drivers don't respect speed limits around schools, parks and residential areas https://t.co/r8aI1ljjFG @fmapfre3 months ago
Great to see @WHO endorsing Intelligent Speed Assistance as a key technology for tackling road deaths.… https://t.co/VMp8YwqOQQ3 months ago
It's UN Road Safety Week @UNGRSW. Pledge to #SlowDown and Save Lives. Here's a technology that can help.… https://t.co/0HPxbgyqNz3 months ago
RT @4roadsafety: Lord Robertson welcomes the launch of the Global Network for #roadsafety Legislators & the Manifesto #4RoadSafety https://…3 months ago
RT @WHO_Europe: Road traffic injuries are the leading killer among children and young people aged 5–29 years #SlowDown3 months ago
© 2016 European Transport Safety Council

20 Avenue des Celtes | Brussels | B-1040 | Belgium

t +32 2 230 4106 | f +32 2 230 4215