Latest from ETSC

Call for more out-of-town speed checks in Switzerland

  • August 28, 2014

ETSC’s Swiss member BFU has called for an increase in the number of speed controls outside of urban areas, pointing to 2013 statistics that showed 52% of speeding-related serious injuries and deaths occurred on inter-urban roads where only 4% of speed checks were currently being carried out.

98% of speed controls in Switzerland are carried out by fixed safety cameras, the remaining 2% by non-automatic cameras placed in special locations or in vehicles. BFU says the impact on driver behaviour is biggest when automatic and non-automatic controls are combined in the same region and drivers are informed about the purpose and results of the checks.

See press release in French, German and Italian

Related
  • Publications
  • January 5, 2023

Briefing: Conditional Licences and Alcohol Interlock Rehabilitation Programmes in the Revision of the EU Driving Licence Directive 2006/126

  • Press releases
  • December 13, 2022

Drink-driving checks need a post-Covid booster

  • Publications
  • December 13, 2022

Progress in reducing drink-driving and other alcohol-related road deaths in Europe

Loading...