The objective of the SMART project is to address the main issues related to alcohol and driving and continue ETSC advocacy activities both at EU and Member State level to tackle drink driving and reduce the number of alcohol-related deaths. This focus is aligned with the EU’s own strategy to reduce injuries and deaths caused by drink driving.
The activities within SMART are consistent with and supplement ETSC’s systemic and evidence-based approach to road safety work.
In the framework of the three-year SMART project (2017-2019) ETSC will conduct the following activities:
• Two SMART Progress Report, analysing EU Member States progress in road deaths attributed to drink driving compared to other road deaths;
• Two EU-level events in Brussels to launch the SMART Progress Report;
• 5 National events on drink driving taking place in different European countries and bringing together drink driving experts and stakeholders;
• One report to present the wide-ranging approaches used to tackle drink driving in Europe;
• Three 1-minute videos on relevant drink driving topics to be shared on social media;
• One info graphic
• Six editions of the Drink Driving Monitor newsletter;
• An Alcohol Interlock Barometer tracking progress on implementation across Europe;
The SMART project receives financial support from The Brewers of Europe and represents the organisations’ joint commitment under the European Alcohol and Health Forum.