iSAFER Intelligent Speed Assistance for European Roads
Illegal and inappropriate speed is the single biggest contributory factor in fatal road crashes. It increases both the risk of a crash happening and the severity of injuries that result. Managing speed is therefore the most important measure to reduce death and injury on our roads.
The objective of the iSafer campaign was to contribute to reducing speed-related road deaths and injuries through the identification and promotion of best practice. The project included a special focus on Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) and promoting its use at European and national level.
How does ISA work, and how could it boost road safety? Find out more on our web page dedicated to ISA technologies.
The campaign included:
- Seminars at a national and European level, aiming to raise awareness of the risks of speeding, and exploring the best strategies for introduction of ISA.
- A policy paper on speed, looking at priorities for reducing deaths on our roads related to speed, focussing primarily on ISA.
- A ranking showing the ‘state of play’ of digital maps and ISA implementation in the different EU Member States.
- Six fact sheets on speed that showcased best practice in each of the following areas: behaviour, vehicles, in-vehicle technology, infrastructure, speed limits.
- A Speed Monitor newsletter three times a year which included monitoring of EU and national policies that have an impact on speed related road safety within the 28 EU countries.
The iSafer project received financial support from the Flemish Government, Fundación MAPFRE and 3M.
Latest iSafer News, Publications and Events
Member States warned on need for access to in-vehicle crash data
MEPs urged to prevent weakening of Intelligent Speed Assistance requirements
11 September 2018 – Fitting Safety as Standard, Madrid
Case Study: Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) on London Buses
27 June 2018 – Lunch Debate: Fitting Safety As Standard
6 June 2018 – iSAFER Dinner Debate
Global NCAP looks to boost take-up of speed assistance systems worldwide
London will require ISA on buses following successful trial
29 September 2017 – ISA on all policy levels, Brussels
Briefing: Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA)
Industry, NGOs and cities call for urgent action on vehicle safety standards
31 janvier 2017 – Le LAVIA : le temps de l’action
19 September – Speed Management: from Research to Implementation, Tampere, Finland
14 June 2016 – Safer Vehicles 2016, London
Ford says Intelligent Speed Assistance proving popular
28 April 2016 – iSafer Conference, Dublin
19 April 2016 – What is the way forward on improved speed management? – Göteborg
09 March 2016 – Fitting Safety as Standard: Intelligent Speed Assistance – Madrid
ETSC shows new MEPs the benefits of smart speed tech