Arriva Denmark, The Hellenic Air Force and Bolk Transport recognised for major commitment to fleet safety
Five European private and public-sector organisations have been recognised for the results of company-wide programmes they have put in place to improve the road safety of their employees, vehicle fleets and the public.
The winners of the 2014 European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) PRAISE Awards for Work-Related Road Safety, announced at an event in Brussels today are:
- Large company – Arriva, Denmark
- Public authority – The Hellenic Air Force, Greece
- Small or medium-sized enterprise – Bolk Transport, The Netherlands
- Highly commended – Unilever, Poland
- Highly commended – The Port of Antwerp, Belgium
Antonio Avenoso, Executive Director of the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) said:
“These organisations are putting road safety at the heart of their operations and have the results to prove it. We hope these shining examples will inspire companies and public authorities across Europe to see the benefits road safety management programmes can bring. These include not only dramatically reduced numbers of collisions and injuries, but also reduced costs, improved employee wellbeing, fewer lost orders and less management time spent on dealing with the consequences of sick days, paperwork and legal issues. The business case for road safety at work is clear, but these companies are showing just how it can be done.”
Notes to editors:
– Business travel makes up about 30% of all travel, rising to 50% if commuting is included (1). Commuting accounts for up to 45% of work-related deaths (2).
(1) UK figures cited in Murray, W., 2011, “The Work-Related road safety business case: Societal, business, legal and cost factors”.
(2) Figure for Germany. See Fig. 1 in http://etsc.eu/the-business-case-for-managing-road-risk-at-work/
– The awards were presented today at ETSC’s European Conference on Work-Related Road Safety, held in Brussels at the Federation of Enterprises in Belgium.
– The PRAISE project is co-ordinated by ETSC with the support of Fundación MAPFRE, the German Road Safety Council (DVR), the Belgian Road Safety Institute (IBSR) and the Dräger Foundation. www.etsc.eu/praise
– The European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) is a Brussels-based independent non-profit organisation dedicated to reducing the numbers of deaths and injuries in transport in Europe. www.etsc.eu