PRAISE Work-Related Road Safety Awards 2018
About the awards
Using the roads is a necessary part of our working lives. But it’s an ordinary activity that leads to an incredibly high level of injury and death. It is estimated that in Europe six out of ten work accidents resulting in death are road collisions, including both crashes while driving for work and commuting crashes (Eurogip). Also, according to the European Commission, road traffic collisions account for nearly 40% of incidents at work resulting in death. The PRAISE project addresses the safety aspects of driving at work and driving to work.
ETSC presents annual awards in recognition of organisations that have made an outstanding commitment to improving work-related road safety.
The competition is divided into three separate categories according to the size and type of the applicant organisations: SME (Small-Medium Enterprise), large company and public authority*. The winners will be chosen by a independent panel of experts appointed by ETSC.
Prioritising road safety can help the bottom line, improve working conditions for staff, and boost customer satisfaction. Previous winners of the PRAISE award have committed to putting road safety at the core of their business and include:
- National Vehicle Distribution (NVD)
- Johnson & Johnson
- Belgian Defence
- O’Donovan Waste Disposal
- OMV Petrom
- Transport for London
- Institute of Advanced Motorists
- Arriva Denmark
- The Hellenic Air Force
- Bolk Transport
- Royal Dutch Shell
- VolkerRail Ltd
- Electricity Supply Board
- British Telecom
Winners receive positive recognition of efforts they have made to improve road safety from ETSC, a leading voice in transport safety at the EU level – with members across the continent. Winners are invited to a high-profile event in Brussels, which includes networking opportunities with policymakers, ETSC members and other organisations active in the field.
Criteria for selecting the winners
Participating organisations should complete the questionnaire which can be downloaded from the ETSC website. Applicants should be able to demonstrate that they have met most of the following criteria:
- Evidence that a ‘process’ has taken place i.e. risk assessment, formal structure, policies developed, targets measured;
- Able to show an innovative approach to work related road safety including concrete actions and initiatives;
- Target setting and monitoring used as part of the road safety programme;
- Solid evidence of a return on investment; able to demonstrate the economic impact of the programme;
- Indicators set up to collect and monitor data on all collisions / material damage / casualties;
- Evidence of safety impact improvements i.e. improved crash rate and casualty reduction;
- Able to show how the programme engaged with the organisation’s staff and how senior management took responsibility for the initiative.
How to apply?
Download the questionnaire. Completed forms should be sent by email to email@example.com by 1 September 2018. The awards will be presented at our annual PRAISE conference in Brussels on 17 October – more details to follow.
*Small-Medium enterprise = <250 employees
Large company = 250+ employees
Public authority = e.g. city council
If you are unsure of which category is appropriate for your organisation, please contact us before submitting your application.